Tuesday, February 7, 2012

A Month of Letters Challenge

I have decided to join with Mary Robinette Kowal in her Month of Letters challenge. For every day the post runs in February, I will be sending out a letter or something in the mail to someone...probably some of you...Here's the website: lettermo.com It's pretty cool. I've been wanting to be more connected with people who have impacted my life, and mail is such a fun way to do it. I am really enjoying writing letters to people and will probably continue this (perhaps not every day) for the forseeable future! Who doesn't really love getting a real letter in the mail? So fun!

Oh, and if you haven't read Shades of Milk and Honey by Ms. Kowal, then you should...especially you Marie! :) It's a very fun combination of Jane Austen style writing with a fun twist of fantasy! I highly recommend it! Jane is the main character and she's a homely but very accomplished woman. She is especially talented in glamour (which is basically an art of illusion-making). She has a younger, beautiful sister which makes for some interesting sibling-jealous moments which I would have liked to see a little more fleshed out, but were true and endearing all the same. There are, of course, several elegible men in the story. One is a glamour artist, one a kind neighbor, and one a naval officer. I was impressed with Ms. Kowal's ability to give both positive and negative character traits for all of them, and therefore the reader is sometimes unsure as to which way the wind will blow, so to speak. For me, one was obvious, but the other was not. I won't say more unless you ask me after you read the book. I don't want to spoil anything. Even with as well as I know Austen, I will admit to being surprised by one maybe not-so-small part. Afterward, I actually though "I should have seen that one...wow." and I felt pretty dumb, but I'm going to just put that as praise toward Ms. Kowal instead of beating myself up over it. I'd love to know if she surprises you too! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment